OrchardAVE

OrchardAVE
Here's Your Sign

Monday, May 16, 2011

Houston, We Have Lift Off!

The salty taste of sweat and the sweet smell of gun powder combined together and made it one explosive afternoon! Orchard Avenue is always a happening place, why would I ever want to leave? Just as I was about to set out for a walk, my neighbor Everett knocks on my door and asks if I’m still alive and where I’ve been. I’m so glad my neighbors care and am aware of my existence!  He and the other guy in #2 were building rockets! (The “non-explosive” kind, of course.) All they were using was an old two liter bottle, water, and air pressure going through a cork. How could I miss such excitement for a walk? Pppshhh.  Although originally a simple plan, building this rocket was actually a big production. Everett and I went all the way to Fresh Market to get a pump needle, and then we had to glue the cork in because the hole in the lid was too large. Then the glue had to dry… blah blah blah.

But the fruit of our labors were well worth it. We shot off the first rocket in the back yard. It went at least four houses high, and the second time we shot it off, it went sideways into my Mexican neighbor’s yard. I sheepishly walked over and seized our “missile” from the grip of the prickly grass, apologizing for each trespassing step.  But that wasn’t a big deal.

Our third rocket was the most exciting. The folks from Orchard and I walked over to Lester Park to set off our “slightly illegal” rocket. This little beauty was what made me fall in love with the smell of gun powder. The large amount of general public and the possibility of an arson ticket for setting the library on fire scared us off to a less populated park. Thomas Park was prime, and just off 22nd; no one was there except the team of rocket scientists and the intramural rocket journalist (me!) “There’s no sign that says ‘NO ROCKETS’!” I chuckled, as we set up and were preparing for launch. We counted down and off it zoomed- right towards me and Angie! We squawked and ran and laughed and I can’t believe I got the whole thing on camera! What a lovely spring bonding experience. I think more neighborhoods should do this together. Perhaps it should be a Sunday night thing: N.R.E. or Neighbor Rocket Evening.


Prom the previous night was something else, though. Unfortunately, the red devil provided by Miss Indie Ogden didn’t fit at all, maybe if I had a torso and was 6 inches shorter haha. So I wore the poufy sparkly dress, and brought my short one along in my back pack. Devin Olguin and his date Anna looked so cute, and I snagged a photo. Drew looked like one classy mofo, his tux jacket had tails and everything. I was so impressed, and I swear I saw a tear in his father’s eye!

incredibly artsy
But the real celebrities of the night were Cameron Rinehart and Molly Porter. Their outfits were entirely handcrafted out of duct tape! I will admit when I heard about their plan I was 90% doubt. I thought it would be shapeless and sticky and sweaty etc. Oh no! I was awestruck, and it was like disbelief slapped me in the face. The couple’s outfits looked impeccable. Cameron had a silver suit jacket, and Molly even had the matching corsage. Incredibly artsy!
 I spent the evening with Drew awkwardly-dancing, kissing, and laughing. It was just one of those things that you are obligated to do in high school. So I’m glad I forced him to take me. After the dance we went to Mojos and took a photo. We stood all serious next to the Steve Stones collection. An orb was even captured! Back at the Olguin house, (I had Drew home by a reasonable hour) I changed into his pants and a shirt. His pants fit me! Well, slightly big in the waist, but if I had a belt, and wore them low like he did, then I’d look just like him! He is the male version of me. Perfect in every single way, funny, smart, attractive, passionate about all the right things, and blah blah blah.
Rock n Roll





Steve Stones collection, orbs, and serious faces.

1 comment: